Monday, July 7, 2008

Memories at the little pineapple village

It's my eldest brother's birthday & we decided to have a short trip to Pekan Nanas.
- To get some vege seeds
- To get some more flowers
- To devour the famous durians ( July's the start of durian season) & pineapples there!


Located at Pontian district, this little village is one of the highest pineapple production in the world, regardless of fresh or canned, their apples with pines are undoubtedly the best!



Introducing Aunt LJ, Winnie( Wanling) & OnnOnn ( I forgot his Christian name)



So first up for the trip will be the search of fine quality vegetables seeds. We've gotten some seeds that will never grow from some frustrating sellers in town, so Uncle Yong introduced us to this shop famous for their fresh seedlets! We were told that the seeds should be planted within a week, if not you gotta put them in the fridge=) Interesting info though.



Ain't my mum pretty?










Ok, seriously this birthday boy does not look like a phD scholar in any ways any proportions any perspectives. Still, happy birthday my naughty Coco!!


Their rainbow colours capture my heart! Aren't these tiny feathered creatures the cutest? So next up, we took a brief teatime at a nearby coffee shop. No bread & milo for teatime, but DURIANS.


Here goes all the unglam photos of how people devour the King of Fruits in all sorts of ways.








Aunt LJ is a born joker. All the pictures I took of her today are extremely unglam.




I am no big fan of the porcupine lookalike fruit, but you must try their durians when you're here! Not too slimy, not too strong, not too sweet, the taste's just right.

Oh ya, and the other family group will be Uncle Yong and family who're so kind to take us city-nerds tour around the village.




Pineapples ( of some species) are actually sold at RM1.00 each ONLY.

Unglam Aunt LJ again -_-'''

Ok so this is one slightly humanlike shot.




Little yellow bananas!
After the long afternoon, we went up to Uncle Yong's old house. Two big geese greeted us with their "dinosaur roaring" gackling callings. Believe it or not, Uncle Yong claimed that these two creatures scared thieves away better than the dogs! Not only their voices are attention grabbing, but they will snatch your butt!


Neat vege beds.
Ruff ruff cute shi-tzu
Aunt Yong then taught each of us how to use the rambutan cutter to get some of the ripe red bloody rambutans. When the fruits are not ready to be eaten, the trees & garden will be in a peace. But when red fruits start to blossom, monkeys will set up their homes there! Evil huh!










Recognise the unripe dragonfruit? Even the leaves look like dragon's tail.




Cackle Cackle Cackle! But actually they're kinda cute cuz I like their round butts.
Jie Lan



I had my Hainanese Black Coffee! It tastes heavenly! Seriously Uncle Yong you should kick off Starbucks's oversweetened drinks.


& charcoal baked Kaya Bun. Highly reccommended!




This is how a happy day is formed. Visiting the little village is like reminiscing my life in Sabah. After living in the city for 3 years, I still strongly believe that one day, or when I get old & grey, I will move into a little cottage and just lead a beautiful life there in the village or hills. I thought I can drastically revamped into an IN city girl, but no. Even though my feet step onto the urban areas, my inner child is still a plain Jane kampung girl. I really love that though.

When I first came to Singapore, some people curiously asked me, do Sabahans live on trees & in longhouses? I was a bit annoyed, but if you ask me again this time, I will smile & say, Yes, some do, and it's the best thing in life.